Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Never Judge a Quiche by it's Stereotype 

     Every time I make or eat a piece of quiche I always think of my brother-in-law Garrett. The story goes that he was at BYU one day, eating lunch out on the campus somewhere. He was eating a piece of quiche that my sister Ashley had packed for him and some random guy walks by him and in passing says, "Real men don't eat quiche!" lol I always crack up when I think of that story, and then wonder why quiche gets such a bad wrap. This isn't tuna casserole we are talking about here people. But then again I have had broccoli concoctions supposedly called quiche that were pretty smothering in the worse way. All in all I think I've decided that it's either terrible or awesome. I will never forget a couple mini ones I shared with my sister Camilla and friend Aubrey in Paris on a breezy afternoon. After many exhausting trains, buses, rails, multiple museums etc. we stopped at a local patisserie and had THE. BEST. piece of heaven in the form of quiche ever created. I think I instantly gained 5 lbs, but it was so worth it. ;)  I've decided the secret is in the cheese used and the crust. 
Ok so enough chit chat, over the weekend I made Craig some that I must say was pretty great.

I wanted something fresh and easy so I picked up some Asparagus, tomatoes and shrooms.  Asparagus always reminds me of spring, it was exciting to find some that was small and fresh and yummy, verses thick and stringy and tough like it has been all winter. 

Ok, so I chopped everything up...

Examined the cheese I had to work with on hand, which was crumbled Gorgonzola and a mild smoked Greyere 

sauteed the mushrooms  asparagus and green onions with some salt and pepper to bring out flavor, and then covered and steamed until it was soft and tender 

The crust needs to be baked ahead of time, so I put it in my pie pan and then used waxed paper and some legumes (in this case garbanzo beans, but pie weights would be ideal if you have them)  to help the crust hold its shape while cooking.





Next I mixed a cup of half and half with 3 eggs (next time I'd do 4) 

And wisked it together with some salt and pepper and a dash of  nutmeg


When the crust has baked for 7 or 8 minutes you add the steamed veggies to the bottom...


Put some cheese on top of that...

Add your egg mixture and then tomatoes, with a tiny bit of your seasoning again on top, pop it in the oven at 400 degrees for 35 minutes...

And then try not to pull it out 45 minutes later, as it will then look over baked,...like this. :)
Overall this recipe was a big hit! I'd give you a sight for it, but I mostly made it up. Or more specifically I took like 3 different recipes, and added what I had on hand instead.

Craig loved it, which means that real men DO eat quiche. ;)
P.S. the leftovers the next day for lunch were evvvvvvan better than the night before.
Happy Cooking!


2 comments:

  1. Yum yum! I agree that real men eat quiche, Eric liked the one I made a few weeks ago, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that story always cracks me up too. I believe that it happened to him twice. Once at work and once at BYU. I will have to ask him about that again. your quiche looks great.

    ReplyDelete